About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man named Jeff and we have three beautiful daughters all who are grown and have two children of their own. About five years ago I suddenly felt ill and when I say suddenly that is exactly what I mean. How does one feel perfectly fine one day and the next your whole world is turned upside down. I went from doctor to doctor trying to find out the cause of my illness and eventually about a year and a half ago I finally got a diagnosis, not one I wanted but at least I had an answer. My diagnosis was Parkinsons Disease. My husband and I were in shock to say the least. We cried together and held each other. What was our future going to be like. we know we have a long road ahead of us and I am sure many obstacles but we have each other. We have the support of our Family and Friends to help us along the way. I am creating this blog to give insight to others about Parkinsons Disease and to let everyone know that we are all different and succumb to this disease at our own pace. No two people are alike that is why I named my Blog "Parkin at Your Own Pace". Feel free to follow along with me on my journey and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I Will Never Walk Alone He Will Be With Me Until The End

Followers

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What causes Parkinson's disease?

The exact cause of Parkinson's disease is unknown, although research points to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. If a continuum existed, with exclusively genetic causes at one end and exclusively environmental causes at the other, different patients would likely fall at many different places along that continuum.
In the past 10 years, researchers have identified a number of rare instances where Parkinson's disease appears to be caused by a single genetic mutation. In these cases, the mutated gene is passed from generation to generation, resulting in a great number of Parkinson's cases within an extended family. On the opposite of end of the continuum, in the early 1980s, a group of heroin users in California took drugs from a batch contaminated with a substance called MPTP. After ingesting this chemical, the drug users were stricken with a form of Parkinson's disease that was primarily, if not exclusively, "environmental" in origin.
For most Parkinson's patients, the cause lies somewhere in the middle. While many PD patients report one or more family members with the disease, it is not always clear that one or several genes are the cause. Similarly, while some patients suspect that exposure to one or another chemical or environmental toxin caused their PD, this also cannot be conclusively proved. Scientists currently believe that, in the majority of cases, genetic and environmental factors interact to cause Parkinson's disease. Research into this subject continues aggressively every day. Unfortunately, however, it is generally impossible to determine what specifically caused an individual's PD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive